Monday, July 13, 2009

I'm back

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a new blog. It seems writing a book drains all the creative juices! I think this is going to be a long, slow process.

I decided, however, to take a break from the never ending novel to talk about a few things, but mainly, I want to feel like I’m accomplishing something. Despite writing a little every night, my masterpiece is far from being anything I should be calling a book. It’s more like a few pages that have changed focus, direction and even font over and over. I wonder if this is how Steven King or J.K. Rowling start their novels? I certainly hope so because I’m aiming to have their success one day!

A lot has happened since my last post…and most of it, for me anyways, seems to have revolved around death. I lost a friend last week - one who I now regret not staying in closer touch with. It always amazes me how it takes something drastic to make you realize that you should have done more. Should have emailed more, responded to Facebook statuses more, attended events you were invited to. This isn’t the first time I’ve wished I was a better friend, and I’m sure it won’t be the last. All I know is that he was a great guy, and is gone much too soon. And I should have been there.

A few celebrities were buried in the last weeks too. I’m sure I don’t have to mention their names, but I hope they are all at peace. But more important to me was another funeral which, as weird as it sounds, I feel privileged to have witnessed. There was a young Ontario Provincial Police officer killed in a motor vehicle collision last week, Alan Hack, 31. He had been an OPP officer for just one year, and was to be married in August. His funeral mass was held at St. Peter’s Basilica which is right near my office. He was given a full police funeral, and I have to admit, our entire office was glued to the window in awe as we watched 2000 police officers from all over North America stand at full attention, lining the busiest street in London. The procession was led by the Police Pipes and Drums Band playing Amazing Grace (guaranteed to make me cry every time), and was truly the most moving thing I have witnessed in a long time.

It is a shame that it takes a tragedy to make us realize how precious life is, and how incredible it is that there are citizens who are willing to put their lives in danger every day just to make sure that we’re safe. I did not know Constable Hack, but I certainly appreciate what he did to protect the community. And I feel for his fiancé. I cannot imagine the pain she is feeling, and will feel on what should be her wedding day. I hope the outpouring of support from the policing community helped to comfort her. I know it had that effect on me.

On a lighter note, I am on the two week countdown to a week of vacation! I have never felt like I need a vacation more than I do right now. Unfortunately while I would love to be preparing for an exotic trip, or a weeklong hideaway somewhere, this year we will be enjoying a ‘staycation’. The plan is to visit a different beach every day, in order to trick ourselves into feeling like we are going somewhere. Sounds lame, I know. But we plan to make it as nice and peaceful as we can so that hopefully we will both go back to our busy seasons at least a little bit recharged. It’s going to be a long autumn otherwise!

It’s hard to believe that August is just around the corner. It promises to be a fun month for a couple of reasons. The first and most obvious is that it’s my birthday, so how could that not be fun? And it’s my 35th, so I feel like it’s a mini-milestone birthday. Age means nothing to me, but when I recently realized that I will no longer be able to check the 25-34 age category on surveys, I have to admit, I felt a little lump in my throat.

The other reason is that my cousin is getting married, which is always exciting. I love weddings and don’t get to go to nearly enough of them for my liking. Sure they’re pricey…you need new clothes (well, I do at least), new hairdo, hotel, gift, etc. But weddings are so romantic that I think they’re worth every penny! And they afford the opportunity to dance which, frankly, I don’t do enough of. I’m not good at it…in fact I’m pretty bad…but its fun and let’s me feel like I’m young again. And since we’ve just confirmed that I am about to be old, I’ll take anything I can get!

So that’s my life in a nutshell right now. Hubby is having a hard time getting used to the new, creative me that spends hours at the keyboard trying to get something literate and somewhat entertaining out. It’s not an easy process, and I spend a lot of time allowing myself to be distracted by other things hoping that they will inspire me. But in the end, I know it will be worth it, if only for the purpose of making me feel more like the person I know I am.

Who am I kidding…it will be worth it when all of you are saying you knew me when…LOL. A girl can dream…

1 comment:

  1. Hope the book is going well...look forward to hearing about your progress!!! :)

    ReplyDelete